Sunday 11 July 2010

Countdown to Russia: Day 21. Goodnight Saigon.

Since there’s an open day at Dartington Hall, my friend has to go into work for several hours, so I plant myself in her office along with my laptop amidst my disarray of paperwork and work on the finicky parts of the Chile chapter – accommodation listings and tour companies. This is one of the most time-consuming tasks, since I have to make sure that each section is done in a relevant font, that all the phone numbers and website addresses are correct. It means spending a considerable amount of time online, so I’m actually being more productive here than I would be at home due to current lack of internet there. The Chile chapter is coming along nicely, so I should be finished in the next few days, though I won’t be editing it before the end of the month. Have to send several queries to James, my editor, with regard to improving the text.

Haven’t heard back from Bryn, my Trailblazer editor. He should have already sent me the de-Quarked text, but I know that there have been delays due to his mother’s recent death, as she was one of the editors. It would be good to meet up with him before departure for a last-minute briefing, but it looks like it’ll be a bit touch-and-go.

Decide that my friend’s pregnancy means that I can actually come down and visit her for longer when her baby is born, since she’ll probably be going stir-crazy at home, and she’ll probably need a hand around the house due to perpetual sleep deprivation.

Have done a rough day-by-day breakdown of the trans-Siberian trip, and technically, I have about six days spare out of my grand total of 67, so I could potentially make that side trip to Hanoi from Beijing. However, knowing my luck, there will be unexpected delays en-route, and I’m sure I’ll need more time to see everything than I actually think I will, so this means that I have to sacrifice Vietnam. It would take me two days by train to even get there from Beijing, and four days’ travel is just not worth it for a stay of two days. Next time…

My friend and I spend time by the sea, discussing careers. We reach the conclusion that we’re both on track with regard to what we want to do, but haven’t yet reached our full potential.

Round off a productive day with ‘Eclipse’ at the movies. It’s strangely compelling, this story of an American teenage girl in love with a vampire, though her behaviour gets increasingly irritating and it figures that the Mormon author would include an old-fashioned vampire boyfriend who’s against sex before marriage.

No comments:

Post a Comment