Wednesday 14 July 2010

Countdown to Russia: Day 18. Train tickets booked.

A productive morning's work. Manage to complete most of the Chile chapter maps before my friend Christine from South Carolina shows up. Then I discover that I missed the delivery of my new  rucksack because I'm clearly deaf and can't hear the doorbell when upstairs in my room/office.

Take Christine into town, since she hasn't been here for nearly a decade. Glad that I'd managed to get most of my work done earlier, because another friend arrives for dinner and I have to fulfil my obligations as a host. I think I must be cracking up due to being cooped up in my room/office and the stresses of the past two weeks; I see sexual innuendo in everything and am bouncing off the walls. My behaviour towards Steve's ex-wife can be misconstrued as making a pass at her. She is probably still traumatised.

Steve informs me that the Ulan-Ude to Ulan Bator leg is now also booked. When I complain about paying an extra £12 to have the tickets sent to our home, as opposed to picking them up from the relevant office in Moscow, he laughs at my naive assumption that the ticket office will be somewhere near the train station. I'm grudgingly persuaded that £12 may be a small price to pay to avoid the hassle of looking for said office in some random part of Moscow on the one full day we'll have in the capital.

My Chile maps are all finished! I've had to redo the one of the Lake District which I swear I'd already updated last year, but clearly they didn't save that copy. Now to complete the Peru maps, and I can pack the whole lot off to my editor.

No comments:

Post a Comment